viernes, 16 de marzo de 2012

The Game


As an avid people-watcher, I have developed many “anthropological” games over the years. One, however, is a particular favorite in Madrid. Called “spot the one who doesn’t belong” (yep, still in need of a more catchy name…), it basically consists of detecting a tourist, study abroad, or Erasmus student, having a quick guess as to where that person might be from, and then getting close enough to overhear a bit of conversation and either prove, or disprove, my guess. It’s good fun, and I highly recommend it.

I play this game almost constantly, and mostly subconsciously. The other day, however, after victoriously identifying a group of Germans, I found myself wondering how easily I would fall prey to this method of spotting the foreigner. Certainly I don’t look Spanish, but having lived in Madrid for almost 7 months now I am able to go about my daily tasks with what I imagine to be a knowledgeable and directed air. Provided I wasn’t speaking English at the time, would a fellow game-player be able to spot me easily as an American? Or would I escape the scan? I can’t imagine that I stick out as much as the water-bottle-and-camera wielding tourists, but am I one of those who just doesn’t belong, though not for any immediately ascertainable reason?

There really isn’t any way of finding out, though being asked for directions certainly boosts one’s feeling of legitimacy. This, in fact, is exactly what happened to me, as I was awakened from my musings by two young Spanish girls wearing ridiculously posh outfits and asking for the nearest “eStarbucks” or “Duunkeen Donuts”. I had no idea, of course, but that’s not really the point. Rather I am happy with the fact that, in that moment, I must have looked just a little bit like I belonged.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario